Saturday, November 03, 2012

Disaster Preparedness

Sandy, from what I hear and see, is a bitch! She rolled up on the East Coast like she was invited. Believe me she wasn't. She crashed the party. She was mean. Sloppy sloppy. She turned over tables and spilled everybody's drinks. She's a bitch. Nobody likes her. She's never invited back.

The folks on the East Coast are left trying to clean up their lives. Some just in survival mode. We sit and watch the news as if it happened on another planet. It could never happen to you....until it happens to you.
I  have seen on the news great acts of kindness. Neighbor helping neighbor. Humans being, well, human. I am sure there are those preying on the weak. Shame on them I say. There is a nice place in hell reserved for them, if you believe in hell.

This tragedy has left me thinking about my would plot in the world. Where I live and my own neighbors. I have the BEST neighbors. I really do. A true community. People who would help one another. Whether it be in celebration or in times of need and sorrow. We, on our block, have done everything from pumpkin picking to planting flowers up and down the street for spring to uncover. Babies have been born, loved ones have passed away. All marked with gathering to support one another.

If something like Sandy were to roll up in here, in my neck of the woods, I know who I could count on. I hope they know they could call on me too. I think we would band together to get through whatever nature wants to deal out.

Peace Out


No comments: