Monday, February 22, 2010

The Big and the Small

How do I describe even the smallest of things?
In the bathroom in Seoul there was a courtesy button that you could push that made a flushing sound. That way no one could hear you go potty. So polite huh? Yet there is no personal space. People crowd together even when not needed and I find that fascinating.
On the plane ride, there were videos, cartoons, mind you, that were about being polite. As the ad said...kindness leads to happiness. Yea, I guess that's true.
The men here are much more open and kind than the women. At least to me. I think Thai women are very held back. The men will talk to about anything. I went to a temple this morning and a man started talking to me, asking me where I am from and such. We talked about our family. Men seemed to be fascinated when they ask me what I do for work and I tell them I don't "work". He had nothing to sell. He was a banker and today was a holiday. He had come to pray to Buddha. A woman would have never struck up a conversation with another woman.
There are dogs and cats all over the street. Alive of course, just prowling around.
My bed is very small and hard as a rock, but I have been so tired that it has not mattered.
Tomorrow I am going to a floating market. I am very excited about this! I am going to walk in the steps of my idol, Anthony Bourdain!!!!!! I have no reservations.
It's so loud here yet so quiet because I am alone I just take in all the sounds and talk almost not at all unless buying food. It's too loud here for the whispers in my head to be heard. There was an area with a around about for traffic and chanting was coming through the loud speakers on a pole. It was the most beautiful sound, yet motor bikes were honking and cars were zipping by.
So that's day one. I have yet to figure out my phone situation. I am dying to talk to my children!!!!

Peace Out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! this is so fun to read!!!! I am so glad all tose dogs and cats are alive...phew!

Purple Cow said...

Very cool post! Feel like I'm there with you! Enjoy yourself!