Saturday, September 01, 2007

Do I Know You?

I had an interesting thought today. We were out and about with the girls and our dog. I saw this woman that had very short hair, like it was growing out from being shaved. I could not take my eyes off of her. As she turned around I noticed a huge scar from her ear to the back of her head. I stood there thinking, hmmmm I wonder what that's all about.
That incident led to this blog. I got to thinking, do the suffering have a sense for each other? Do people who go through some kind of trauma seek each other out in crowds? Do we pass others and look for the sign? The slight smile when seeing a bald head, or flat chest, or pink wrist band. Words are rarely spoken. Do we seek out those who have same life experiences as ourselves? As my friend Jason said, if you drove a certain car, say a jeep(I used to have one) wouldn't you notice other jeeps all the time? My answer was YES!!!! That's what I'm talking about!
Here's a little story that proves my point: How I got discovered in Target.
When I first started chemo I was in Target one day giving my girls the best nutrition Target has to offer...hotdogs. As I was sitting there trying to keep the mustard volcano from taking us over, I noticed a woman standing at the counter. She has really cute SHORT hair and a pink wrist band. I was almost completely bald and wearing a hat. We were checking each other out. We had "the look." We had no choice but to start talking. She had just finished chemo and asked me if I was going to any support groups. I said I wasn't and she invited me to hers. We traded emails and I am proud to say that she, Carol, is my friend and my hero. If it weren't for her, I would have never joined cancer club. I wouldn't be doing the 3day walk, I would not have some of the most amzing women in my life.
So see? maybe we do seek each other out. Maybe we feel we are different from the population and we need to find others who know our plight.
If you see me round town come up and say hi, unless I find you first.

Peace Out

4 comments:

qualcosa di bello said...

great post...i think that hyper-awareness is often a very good thing, for often in those places we find the support we need

MommaBoo said...

A very interesting post. Yes, I believe God leads us to others we can help through suffering. Our suffering can be healed by helping them and vice versa.

Really enjoyed this post.

Frances D said...

That which we are seeking is seeking us.
Thanks for sharing.
So looking forward to seeing you in the magazine this month.
Frances
http://shewhoblogs.com

Unknown said...

Just loved this post. And coming from someone living overseas, I so miss this about America. The fact that you can comfortably approach a stranger based on a sensed connection. My Mom once told me: It's always better to say something: hi, what's up, whatever, than to say nothing at all.